A collaboration space for the Pacific Northwest foosball community

Foosball League Tournament Director Thread

2017 Hall of Legends Open Forums General Discussion Foosball League Tournament Director Thread

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar Floppy 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Floppy

The purpose of this thread is for me (Floppy) and the other Tournament Directors to discuss Foosball League Stuff so the league co-ordinate and run smoothly. I thought about setting up an email thread for us to communicate on, but I’m actually thinking a forum thread will be better as it will allow any new TD’s to read through and catch up on things. Also as this is not “Secret Information” and it involves the players, it gives any players interested in knowing what we’re doing or who have ideas to have a place to read along and chime in.

Floppy

Okay first order of business is to get all the TD’s ready to go.

Software – email me at foosninja@hotmail.com if you do not already have the league software. For TD’s you’ll only need the LeagueForms piece. There are three components to the software:

LeagueForms: This is the tool that TD’s use to run the league matches, and it creates a results file for each match played. It also maintains local lists of the players and their rating and the locations. From within the software you can add new players or update ratings of existing players, and of course add your location to the list of locations. What TD’s need to do is install the software, run it for each match, save the match results, and email that results file to whomever the UBER LEAGUE MANAGER is. At this point I’m not sure if that will be me or not……I’m working on it….TBD.

LeagueManager: This piece of software collects and compiles all the individual league results files. So whomever turns out to be the “UBER LEAGUE MANAGER” will run this piece of software. It takes all the inputted league results and compiles them into a single data file which is fed into the report generator. Ideally the uber league manager and the person who has access to the report generator will be the same person.

Report Generator: This is just a PowerBI report that needs to have the datafile refreshed whenever new results are added to the source data file. Running the LeagueManager is fast and easy, and updating the Report Generator are both fast and easy….like under a minute to do both tasks. But it is a manual process of moving the results files into a special folder from the results emails this person will get each week. So basically there will be a slight delay between the time Matches are played and the time the Results file for each match gets updated. Additionally … The Reports I’ve made so far can be expanded in the future to include more information. (This is likely to happen…but it won’t impact any of the other steps.) When the Report Generator file is updated and refreshed, the link to the data will auto-magically pick up the new results.

Status: The LeagueForms software is written and working (but I still want to add a few fit and finish pieces….but it’s working now so we’re good to go). The LeagueManager is finished and complete. No updates needed, it works great. The Report Generator has a dozen or so different charts for players to look at with filters so they can see different location results or combine them..whatever they want to do…these are semi-interactive charts. There are more charts and stuff I could add to this in the future but it’s currently in “Good Enough” state to start league play.

Danylo and George are helping with the last few bits to get everything connected, tested and ready for October.

Floppy

Next order of business – Money

Okay so here are my initial thoughts: (And this is totally up for debate, modification, new ideas, and whatever from now until Leagues start in October, at which time, if we were smart, we’d have everything sorted out and written in stone…at least for this first league under this new format.)

So here’s my initial proposal, and we can amend and adjust or change it however:

Each location can “pick teams” each week however they prefer – Either randomly pick captains or just randomly pick teams each week.
    Each participating player will pay the TD $5 per match played.
    At the end of each match the winning team will win $6. (yeah $1 profit (less quarters))
    Each location can work out how they want to pay quarters for the league matches…If each player puts some number of quarters in a cup…that works.
    So at the end of the night the winning team wins their entry fee back plus a dollar, the TD has $4 per player per match played, and the losing team has shame and remorse.

The TD should then avoid using the money to buy scratch tickets and instead save the money for league end payouts.

In mid December league matches will come to an end, and a one day “Playoff” at each location will happen. The league software will track the results for each location and show standings.
    Okay so here’s my thought, and how we did things a few years back when I sort of ran this same style of league at the Summit Pub. When league is finished the top 8 players at each location will play in the playoff League Finals. Players 1-4 will form “the A-Team” and players 5-8 will be “The B-Team”.
    In order to be in the top 8 players will need to play a certain number of matches at the given location, AND finish top 8 in the standings at that location. (NOTE – all matches are Handicapped, so anyone can win, this does not favor all the pros, is should be pretty balanced.) (More on that later)
    The prize pot collected by the TD will be distributed to:
    The top players in certain league categories (Top goalie, top forward, Top Roller Baller ..etc… the league reports have cool charts that track this stuff)
    Also the teams in the Final playoffs will split the remaining pot (unevenly), probably something like 66% for the winning team and 33% for the losing team.

Now we’ll have to have a discussion about “Qualified” players. To qualify for prizes at a particular location a player will need to play at least 8 Total league matches (at any locations), and play 5 or more matches at the specific location. So yes, players who want can play at multiple locations. AND if a player can’t get the necessary 8 matches in at their regular location, they can go play at a different location in order to get in their “8 total matches). If they don’t play the necessary number of matches, they can’t qualify for league end prizes. (yeah it’s a bad deal for them….but as long as they won any matches they played in they didn’t actually lose their money to the prize pool pot.)

The above will require the TD’s to save the weekly pot money somewhere safe (like in their sock) until the end of the league payouts.

AFTER the League finals are finished: Player ratings for “Qualified Players” (who played 8 or more matches at any combination of locations) will have their Northwest Handicaps adjusted based on their results. How this is worked is TBD, and involves lots of math and stuff… Basically if a player is winning a lot at their current handicap level they need to have a higher handicap. And the reverse for players who are losing too much. With a little luck this will replace annual Voting for Ratings.

Bill

Floppy looks good to me. I can post a weekly total collected and post the winning team with names? We can also use the money to fund the finals? Just thoughts. Talk to you soon.

Floppy

Update: Just finished fixing the League Software. I just did some planned fit and finish updates. The software now validates results so illegal scores can’t be submitted. Also removed some Test Values I had in the code.

NOTE – I didn’t fully set the fixes I made, but I’m 99% sure I did it right.
    I tested some of the fixes, and then replicated those, so I’m pretty sure the code is solid. Still working on getting the Public Posting of the Results working and tested, which is the last piece that needs to be done before we start league in October.

Bill and Dawid I’ll need to give you the updated code.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.