A collaboration space for the Pacific Northwest foosball community

Foos League Info for Players

2017 Hall of Legends Open Forums General Discussion Foos League Info for Players

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar Floppy 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Floppy

Hello, Floppy here. I’m going to be trying to get as many of the Tournament Directors as possible to run Foosball League Matches at their locations From the Beginning of October – Middle of December.

The reason I’m doing this is:
    1) I’m a Jerk and I like to keep you guys on your toes and mess with your “routines”.
    2) I think a lot of players like “League play” and I get asked all the time “Hey Floppy when are we gonna do league again?” So now I can answer them.
    3) League play is GREAT for new players. It’s Handicapped, and New players get on Group Teams who have an interest in teaching them to play better. And it doesn’t hurt your team to have a new player on it due to the Handicapping. So this is a great time to encourage and people you know who have an interest in joining us to come out and play.
    4) I want to do away with the annual “Voting System” for adjusting player ratings. If players participate in League Play, then league results can drive handicap adjustments instead of voting each year. (Hard to argue about a results based point system.) (Of course this assumes players play a minimum number of matches to get good data on them. We won’t use this to adjust anyone’s rating who only shows up for one or two league matches. (Anyone can have an off night or three)
    5) Fun. League play is fun.
    6) This will be a format where the usual suspects don’t win the money every time. Handicapped leagues do not favor Cody, Foz, me and the other people who regularly win at your locations. Theoretically it’s a level play field regardless of your skill level. In DYP’s the higher skill players tend to drain the pocket books of the lower skilled players. This format rewards whomever plays above their normal skill level each night.

Floppy

How it works:
    The style of league we’ll be running does not involve any commitment to any one team or location. Each “League Night Event” will involve players picking teams (in whatever fashion they choose…pick captains, or random draws.) And then a match is played. Each match will track results individually for each player – Matches won, Games won, points scored, and many other statistics which will be displayed here on this board for everyone to parooze. I’ll try to get links up to other foosball boards for Oregon, Idaho and Vancouver. You will be able to compare your results to those of other players from other regions.

In December each location will have a playoff where the top players from each location will compete for fame and fortune. (results may vary)

If you have 2 tables to play each match on, then league should only take about 90 minutes and you can play your regularly scheduled DYP afterwards. (I encourage league first then DYP because if you’re out in 2 in the DYP you can go home early. But everyone has to stay until the end of league anyway.) So if you’re out in 2 in the DYP and you do it first, then you have to sit around for hours waiting for league…which might not be fun.

Floppy

More details
    If you haven’t played league before, you will form 3, 4, or 5 man teams depending on how many players show up, and each team will play just over a dozen games of different types: Doubles, singles, Forward Shoot Out, Goalie Wars, Two Ball Roller Ball, Roto, and Full Team games. The point totals from each game is totaled to determine the winning team. Every game is handicapped using a reverse handicap system, to make each game “Fair” regardless of skill level.

Reverse Handicapping – Short version: If a team who’s combined skill level is 5 plays a team who’s combined skill level is 7 the higher rated team has to score 2 “Extra Goals”. These “Extra goals” are scored first. So they would need to score 2 goals before they start scoring their normal 5 goals to win the game. If the higher rated team doesn’t finish scoring their “Extra Goals” by the time the other team scores 5, the higher rated team is credited with “Zero” for a score. (NOT A NEGATIVE NUMBER). So the biggest point difference any team can get for a single game to 5 would be 5. So this is “Fair” for high or low ranked players…but the higher ranked player still needs to make up his handicap to win the game…so the handicaps still do their purpose.

Floppy

Foos League Starting Tomorrow at Waterland. League play at 7:30, DYP afterwards.

Floppy

– RULES –
    It came my attention that there were some rules disputes regarding specialty games in league play. So I will post the official rules in regards to the specialty games noting how they are different from the standard doubles rules:

Goalie Wars
    The three and five man rods should be turned up ideally with the men horizontally and kept in place with rubber bands or rod locks. If you tip them with the feet up the heads hang down and can interfere with shots which lift off the table surface.

Time limits – 10 Seconds per possession.
    Stopped or pinned balls may be shot, but they may only sit still or remain pinned for no more than 3 seconds, after which the ball must be moved to another man before it can be shot. NOTE – This means someone could stop a ball for up to 10 seconds before shooting a pull or push kick. (as it is moved to another man) But Stopping a ball with one man, waiting more than 3 seconds then striking it with a different man is not allowed…it must “be moved to another man”.

Any possession which leaves the goalie area and does not reach the other players goalie area, is a loss of possession to the opposing goalie. This does not overrule the ball of the table rules.
    NOTE – This happens often where a shot will get blocked, bounce or spin out of the defenders goalie area and return to his goalie area due to hitting rods or spin…this is a loss of possession and must be turned over to the other player via normal restart procedure.

Four on Four – Or any “Full Team” games.
    This is the “final Match” on our sheets where everyone on the team participates. With more than 3 players each player holds 1 rod. With 3 players the middle player controls the 2 bar and 5 bar.
    Line-ups – Players may line up in any order, they do not need to follow the order they are listed on the match sheet. But once the match begins they may not change order. When a team scores a point the scoring team only rotates position from the goalie rod forward, and the forward going back to goal, or in the case of 5 player teams they go off the table and the player who is off the table comes in at goal.

Time – The game is played roller-ball style. The rule is weird here – the official rule is No stopped or pinned shot can be scored unless it touches another man on their team. SO – Advancing a stopped or pinned ball is legal. And someone could even “shoot a stopped or pinned ball, and if it hits a friendly player on the way to the goal it would be legal. So … don’t scream foul if someone advances a stopped or pinned ball…it is only illegal if it goes into the goal. If it goes in illegally – it is served (on the 5 bar) by the opposing team.
    NOTE – This does not circumvent the passing stopped balls rule…follow normal rules for that. (stopped or pinned passes from 5 to 3 are illegal, goalie to 3 are legal, and Goalie to 5 are only legal if they strike a defending player.)
    All players must remain in contact with their rod when the ball is advanced. Players can change hands on the handles … but just like wiping your hands in doubles, you may not immediately advance the ball when you change hands or wipe your hands. Wait one second after returning your hands to the rod.

Two Ball Roller Ball
    This is Roller Ball – So no ball may be stopped for more than 1 second, or pinned for more than 3 seconds. You can shoot stopped or pinned balls so long as they respect the time limits above.
    Serving the balls between points is done using the serving holes, you are allowed to influence the ball when you serve the ball (causing it to spin or roll to your own man if you wish, you can put any spin on it you want), so long as your fingers do not enter the play area. When serving the teams should agree on who will count, and one person will count (in a normal cadence) from 1 to 4, the ball must strike the table surface between the counts of 2 and 4. (Note you can’t strike the ball before it hits the surface.)
    Time Violations – (NOTE – This is not covered in the official rules, so I am “officially” making this up.) If one ball remains the other team serves the remaining ball through the serving hole. If both balls are still in play the goalie starts with one ball stopped, and must touch a second man before advancing, AFTER the forward serves his ball and it touches the table surface.)
    Ball off the table – When one ball flies off the table the other ball is still live until such time as the ball off the table strikes something out of play, like the score marker, a player, or the floor, while the ball is still in the air, the other ball is still live. As soon as the off the table ball hits something play is stopped and both balls are reserved. If only ball is in play and it goes off the table for any reason, it is served (through the serving hold) by the team who was last scored upon. (or by the serving team if no points have been scored.)
    When one ball is scored, if the scoring team stops the other ball they may either take one point or continue play and try to score the second ball for a second point. If each team scores one ball, both points are nullified, and the balls are reserved.

Forward Shoot Out
    The Serving player starts with possession on the 3 bar, and starts play with the normal “Ready protocol”. All normal 3 bar rules apply – 15 second possession. If the shot is blocked AND STOPPED, or cleared out of the goalie area, even if it rolls back to the 3 bar. Or it flies off the table. It counts as a Missed Shot and the other player then starts his possession on his 3 bar. (Same for scored shots.) NOTE a ball which is shot, leaves the goalie area and hits a rod or man or spins back into the goalie area, is a dead ball and a Missed Shot the instant it leaves the goalie area.

All other rules are normal.

Oh – I’m going to make one more “not covered” ruling. Each team may call ONE time out per game.

These are all the official VIFA rules we used to play league by (except the couple “official rulings” which I noted and added above.)

-Floppy

Floppy

Oh one more “official Rule” that I am making up because it is not covered – During “Full team” games and during 2-Ball Roller ball games talking is allowed. You can direct team mates, coach…whatever…it is NOT a distraction to talk while shooting or while the other team is shooting…but keep it civil. No intentional yelling to distract the other team, and no insults (that aren’t funny).

NOTE – League is supposed to be fun. So I’m not making up a grumpy no talking rules.
    If kids are present watch the language. And as always rude comments (about the other team) are illegal. (If they are not funny)

Examples: “You’re a cheating douch-bag” – Illegal.
    “Nice shot Mary, does your husband play?” – Legal.

Floppy

I see I forgot to post the time limits per rod for full team and two ball roller ball. They are 10 seconds on every rod and the goalie area.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.